Friday, May 13, 2011

Biblical Purpose Template


Biblical Purpose Worksheet
(Where am I Going)
To learn how to live a focused life that brings glory to God we must have a firm foundation.  Our foundation is found in the Word of Truth.  Scripture will allow us to live fully focused and fulfilled lives by streamlining our journey always pointing us in the direction we should go. We will take a look at several scriptures that:
1.        Declare the reason why we exist
-A Being Statement
2.       Reflects the Heart of God
-A Kingdom Perspective
3.       Clarifies what is Non-Negotiable
-True North: the way we should go

In the sections below:
1.        Reflect on the verses that have clarified your sense of purpose in the past
2.       Review some of the scriptures which have been meaningful to other Christians
3.       Follow the instructions for trying to capture your sense of your biblical foundation in your own words.
What Scriptures has God used to give focus, purpose, and direction in your life?  List those verses and summarize the insight(s) you gained from each verse.
Verses from Your Past
Verse
Insight

























Review these familiar verses and summarize the insights they provide regarding the question of purpose for a believers life.
Matthew 22:37-40


Matthew 28:18-20


John 15:1-11


John 13:34-35


Romans 15:6-7


2 Corinthians 4:7-11


Philippians 3:7-10


Colossians 2:6-7


2 Peter 1:5-11



Reflection on your Study
Based on your study of these scriptures ask yourself the following questions to help you clarify God’s purpose for your life.
·         Why do I exist as a person?
·         Apart from what I do, what gives my life its deepest meaning?
·         Why did God create me?
·         What is my response to God’s work of grace and salvation on my behalf?
In single words or phrases what themes have emerged from your review and reflection on the Scriptures?
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Writing a biblical purpose statement
Our purpose is the foundation upon which we live our lives.  Purpose isn’t a list of tasks we must accomplish but is a statement of ‘being’ that captures the essence of our existence.  Based on our reflection through scripture, write up a draft of your biblical purpose statement.
Additional helps:
·         not a list of do’s and don’ts
·         should be concise
·         describes why a person exists based on scripture
·         being statement
·         describes our relationship with God
ex:
·         The purpose of my life is to know God and hear his voice so clearly that I live a life of obedience and servant hood. As a result, I will be a self-defined person with a non-anxious presence
·         I exist to live in authentic intimacy with Jesus and let him so shape my life that the people of my life will see him at work in me.
·         Understanding Jesus Christ is Lord of all creation, that He loves me, and by His grace rescued me from captivity so that I might be free to serve Him; I seek to know Christ and allow Him to shape me toward His purposes.

Your Biblical Purpose Statement



















No comments: